Saturday, June 09, 2007

Should I be scared..

We had bought a dress for N from Centrepoint. It was a pink backless dress, with a net shirt on top. Thursday we were going to a dinner party. After putting on the dress my 4yr 9mth daughter is saying "I don’t want to wear the net top on, cos I want to show everyone my back"..And to think that all the time her back was visible. Needless to say DH was shocked, and I was amused. As were all my friends at the party.
But, on hindsight, look at the media influence on kids. At this age, she is so comscious of her appearance, she wants everything (shoes, accessories) matching her dress, and what not?? …….LOL!! To think at her age, I was so innocent. And today's kids, lol!! Should I be scared??

7 comments:

Grey said...

Yes ! be scared , its not only the TV but in Kuwait its the peers !
I have a friend who has twins of age 7 and they are already talking about boyfriends ...
Word of advice ..try to be more of a friend and less of mother ...

LiLaCs said...

lol..my sister is demanding to 'paint' her hair..Comprimise..It works wonders,if they think they have a choice you can con them into anything..

Reem said...

wooow!! yeah those kids scare me! i remember when i was a kid my fav. outfit was jeans and tshirt! she's soooo sweet!
God bless her :*

Unknown said...

That is alarming, but at that age all kids need guidance! They see it, but they don't quite understand it.. or the implications of it!

Shalini said...

Yeah, kids are into role-playing at that age. Remember when you used to dress up like your mom or your aunt in sarees? Those role models have been replaced by the skimpily dressed heroines on TV. Sad but true.

Some days I'm glad I don't have a girl (not yet, anyway). Clothing is not much of an issue with a boy LOL!

KJ said...

You should be, but you also should know that times are changing. You need to let go of a couple of string but you need to hold on to the rope, if you know what I mean

Anonymous said...

That's why I don't want kids, I wouldn't know what to do, it's damn scary for me.

Good Luck